Broccoli belongs in a healthful, plant-based weight loss plan, however this cruciferous vegetable can present a fair greater wellness increase in case you put together it a sure means.
Serving Dimension: 1 cup flowerets
- 20 energy
- 3.6 g carbohydrates (1% DV)
- 2.1 g protein (4% DV)
- 2130 IU vitamin A (43% DV)
- .113 mg vitamin B6 (6% DV)
- 66.2 mg vitamin C (110% DV)
- 34 mg calcium (3%)
- .62 mg iron (3% DV)
- 17.75 mg magnesium (4% DV)
- 46.86 mg phosphorus (5% DV)
- 23.75 mg potassium (5% DV)
Well being Advantages
Greens like broccoli belonging to the plant genus Brassica include tons of health-promoting compounds and probably highly effective phytochemicals.
- Safety towards cell injury: Broccoli comprises glucosinolates and vitamin C, which have been proven to combat towards oxidative stress.
- Improved blood sugar: Broccoli comprises sulforaphane, which can inhibit glucose manufacturing and enhance glucose.
- Lowered threat of most cancers: Diets wealthy in cruciferous vegetable consumption, together with broccoli, might cut back most cancers threat in lots of tissues together with lung, bladder, and prostate.
Can uncooked broccoli be consumed?
Boiled broccoli retains solely 40% of the phenolic content material of the uncooked vegetable. The Vitamin C and glucosinolates in broccoli are water-soluble, making them extra vulnerable to loss in the course of the cooking course of. To retain its vitamin C content material, preserve broccoli refrigerated.
Are broccoli florets higher than stalks?
Apart from being fibrous and flavorful, the tops of broccoli might include extra vitamins than the stalks. A research confirmed that broccoli seeds and florets had the best proportion of bioactive compounds in comparison with broccoli stalks. Additionally, florets present two to 3 instances extra healthful glucosinolates and about twice as many polyphenols in comparison with the stems.